18 reasons you need to stay at New York’s Refinery Hotel
When you arrive in a new city on the first night of a big holiday, chances are you’re going to be pretty excited. When that city is New York and you’re staying at one of the hottest hotels in town, we’re talking child-at-Christmas levels of enthusiasm.
Here’s why – after seven years of reviewing hotels for this blog – the Refinery Hotel is now one of my favourite stays.
1. First impressions count. And the Refinery’s sleek entryway promises good things to come.
2. A signature scent – The first thing to hit me as I walk through the glass doors is the AMAZING smell. The team advise me the scent – a mix of white birch, firewood, and cedar – was created especially for the hotel. It works perfectly to create a warm and inviting mood that makes you feel like you’re coming home. If you really love it, you can even purchase it in candle form.
3. Historic vibes. Located in the Garment District – the historical center of America’s fashion industry – this luxury hotel retains the industrial feel of the original Colony Arcade Building it in habits – a building that, a century ago, was integral to the city’s millinery trade.
4. A great location close to all the Midtown action. You’ll find it hard to drag yourself away from the hotel, but there’s a great big city out there to explore and with the Refinery as your base, you’ll be perfectly situated to make the most of all that Mid town has to offer. Times Square, Bryant Park, the Theater District, and the Empire State Building – not to mention a lot of great shopping and a brand-new Whole foods – are all with in a 10-minute walk.
5. Wine you say? Any hotel that offers me a glass of wine as I checkin is my kind of hotel 😉 The Refinery check-in team are fast and friendly. In fact, throughout my stay, every staff member exudes warmth and polish. It’s not an easy combination to nail, but it’s definitely my preferred luxe hotel vibe.
6. VIP rooftop bar access. Speaking of drinks, you can’t go to NYC without a roof top bar experience. And you can’t beat skipping the line outside because your room key grants you special access to the Refinery Roof top – which just happens to be one of the hottest spots in town, with epic views of the Empire State Building, lots of beautiful people, and a buzzing atmosphere. Oh, and delicious cocktails too.
7. Super-fast room service. Late-night arrivals call for room service, and this weary traveller was delighted to receive her order in less than 15 minutes.
8. Or enjoy a proper sit-down meal at Parker and Quinn. Located on the ground level, the signature restaurant packs a serious punch, serving up American favourites with a twist.
9. Above and beyond surprises. The way to my heart is definitely a Magnolia Bakery (of Sex and the City fame) delivery, so these surprise cupcakes in my room were a HUGE hit. Of course, the hotel also delivers perfectly on other great-to-haves, like free Wi-Fi, a midday check-out, and a fitness centre (which also offers personal trainers and pilates instructors, available on request).
10. The biggest New York hotel room I’ve ever seen. NYC is renowned for its tiny rooms, so I may or may not have done a little happy dance when I opened my door on level 17 to the top-tier Atelier Suite, which is absolutely huge at 425 square feet. Entering through the long hallway (a luxury in itself!), I explore the open-plan space, which features a large bedroom, full living area, and a desk nook. The Refinery has 197 rooms over 12 floors, but it still retains that boutique hotel feel.
11. Not only are they big, they’re beautiful too. Retaining the historic vibes while keeping things modern and sleek is no mean feat, but the Refinery nails the brief. The suite features gorgeous 12-foot ceilings, dark brushed oak floors, and feature artwork. I particularly love the gorgeous solid wood desk and cabinet – they’re the kind of quality furniture you’d have in your dream home. No temporary hotel-stay vibes here. Can I move in now?
12. And you’re going to love the bathroom. It’s spacious, with sleek white marble throughout, chrome touches, and a feature tile space you’re going to need to get a photo with to join the #RHHappyFeet fun on Instagram.
13. Design touches everywhere. The arty features aren’t limited to the guest rooms. I’m greeted with this funky set-up outside the lift on my level. Fun fact: the old-fashioned dial phone connects you to reception!
14. And, of course, the lobby delivers on the gorgeous-vibe front too. Case in point: this very Insta-worthy feature wall.
15. Help is just a message away. Phone calls are so old-school. During my stay, I receive text messages from the Refinery team to ask how my room is, how my stay is going, and to offer help with anything I need assistance with, which is a nice touch.
16. The right balance between old and new. Refinery strikes the balance of acknowledging and celebrating its heritage, while providing a sleek and modern guest experience. Case in point: the Refinery Times – the hotel’s ‘compendium’ presented in the style of an old newspaper.
17. A jazz bar. The rooftop bar is a must, but don’t forget to also check out Winnie’s Jazz Bar. Located in the foyer, it’s an elegant vintage-style spot with mood lighting, a great cocktail list, and a whole lot of atmosphere, with live performances each night.
18. Personality. Hotels can be same-same, but the Refinery stands out from the crowd at every opportunity, from the ‘do not disturb/make up my room’ signs, to the instructions for how to nab a
I could go on, but there’s really only one thing you need to know: the Refinery Hotel needs to be on your NYC bucket list.