18 reasons to love Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Only 90 minutes from the CBD, it’s no surprise Wollongong is a favourite getaway destination for Sydneysiders. But the all-important question… where should you stay? Here are 18 reasons why you should pick Novotel Wollongong Northbeach.
1. It’s all about location: What’s not to love about having North Wollongong Beach literally on your doorstep? Cross the road and you’re there! Bonus points: it’s the only beach in the region that’s patrolled 365 days a year.
2. Refurb done right: The recently completed refurbishment has coastal chic written all over it.
3. HUGE rooms: It’s the best of both worlds. Older hotel rooms tend to be much bigger than newer ones, but can feel dated. Courtesy of its refurb, at the Novotel you get lots of space AND modern, stylish décor. Winning.
4. Ocean views AND a balcony: We’re in room 609 – an ocean view suite with a balcony – and the outlook is picture-perfect. Keep an eye out for the friendly cockatoos that visit around sunset. Could it be any more Aussie?
5. A well-thought-out space: A huge room is one thing, but smart design takes it to another level. An entertainment unit that also houses the mini-bar nicely divides the ‘bedroom’ and ‘dining area’ of the open-plan space. Bonus points for the TV’s ‘Lazy Susan’ swivel, which comes in handy on a footy final night. TV-watching from the dining table makes hubby a happy man.
6. Lollies at reception & complimentary newspapers: Because it’s the little things.
7. A heavenly bath: It’s luxuriously huge and you’ll feel the relaxing vibes in no time. Or if a rainwater shower is more your thing, there’s one of those too. The organic toiletries made especially for Novotel are another nice touch.
8. Get your day spa on: If all that splish-splash action hasn’t relaxed you enough, head down to level three and get acquainted with the sauna. Or better yet, book in for a treatment at the on-site Akorah Day Spa.
9. Go for a stroll: The iconic lighthouse is a must and an easy walk away from the hotel (if you don’t mind a few hills!)
10. Indulge your inner foodie: You don’t even need to leave the hotel to eat and drink well. Take your pick from Windjammers Restaurant (I have my eye on the seafood buffet for next visit), the Lobby Bar, and Pepe’s on the Beach (the perfect beachside bar with a fun nautical vibe).
11. Or venture (a little) further for your gourmet hit: Long-time favourites like Diggies and Mango Tree are literally a minute’s stroll away. Walk a little further to the marina area to sample seafood favourite Bombora, or for something more casual, grab takeaway fish and chips at Levendi.
12. A great night’s sleep: Sometimes big hotels can be a bit noisy. Think noisy lifts, people coming and going from their rooms, and even events (engaged couples and conference organisers take note – the Novotel has a great function area). But not the Novotel. I sleep incredibly well.
13. And a sunset worth waking up early for: Or just look at my photo and pretend you did 😉
14. Get active: If you’re a gym bunny, you’re in luck. The Novotel’s well-equipped gym is sure to tick all your boxes.
15. On your bike: Mix it up and hire a bike, conveniently located just outside reception.
16. Or just hit the pavement: Cardio is always easier with salty beach goodness in the air. Bonus points if you hit up the stairs.
17. Buffet breakfast done right: You can tell a lot about a hotel by its buffet breakfast and the Novotel delivers the goods with a generous array of fruits, cereals, cheeses, breads, and pastries. On the hot side, help yourself to eggs, hash-browns, fried rice, potatoes, mushrooms, pancakes, and more. And balance out any indulgences by making your very own carrot, celery, and apple juice.
18. Breakfast with a view: Is there a better outlook for your morning bacon and eggs?