Australia’s style, fashion and coffee capital, Melbourne has taken out the position of the number one ‘wish list’ domestic city to visit in 2015, according to leading travel and lifestyle site lastminute.com.au.
In a survey, of 4100+ people, the top Australian ‘wish list’ cities to visit in 2015, are:
1. Melbourne, VIC
2. Perth, WA
3. Hobart, TAS
4. Sydney, NSW
5. Darwin, NT
6. Brisbane, QLD
7. Adelaide, SA
8. Canberra, ACT
lastminute.com.au spokesperson, Louise Ryan says Melbourne is number one for so many reasons beyond it’s well known characteristics of culture and European style.
“Melbourne is best known as the cosmopolitan mecca of Australia, however, it’s much more than that; it’s an intoxicating mix of sophistication and guilty pleasures.
“It’s the ultimate Aussie city to ‘play up’ in. Whether that is maxing the budget by shopping till you drop, late night espresso martinis at an inner city rooftop bar, or lazy days drinking coffee and people watching in one of the city’s hidden laneways”.
lastminute.com.au top five reasons to come to Melbourne in 2015:
1. It’s all about the fashion: Let’s be honest: Melbournians have an impeccable sense of style. Find your own in the bustling laneways and arcades of the city, shop up a storm at the country’s newest shopping mecca Emporium, explore the eclectic boutiques in Fitzroy and Collingwood, or head south of the city and stroll along Chapel Street for great fashion finds.
2. Rooftop bars: Melbourne is a city known for its rooftop bars, many of them hidden above discreet city buildings. Some lastminute.com.au favourites include the retro tennis inspired Madame Brussels on Bourke Street, Naked In The Sky overlooking the ultra-cool Brunswick Street in Fitzroy and beachside Captain Baxters in St Kilda.
3. Arts & Culture: Be inspired by Melbourne’s many art galleries such as the Australian Centre For Contemporary Art, the National Gallery of Victoria and at the myriad of hidden galleries situated throughout the city’s laneways. Then glam up and head to the theatre to enjoy some of the 2015 shows, including Strictly Ballroom The Musical (on now), The Lion King (20 February – 10 May) or Dirty Dancing (from February to May).
4. Eat: Hit up hip inner city haunts such as local favourites Chin Chin, Bomba, Tonka, Mamasita and Supernormal. If a long relaxing luncheon is your thing, take a day trip to the Yarra Valley wine region, just an hour north-east of Melbourne and enjoy local food and wine flavours in a relaxed vineyard setting.
5. Stay: After a fun filled day, relax at any of the inner city hotels such as the world’s first dessert hotel Adelphi or live it up at the glamorous Crown Metropol Melbourne. Alternatively, if Melbourne’s inner city precincts are more to your taste, Art Series has a great selection of artist-inspired rooms at several chic properties.
Check out the lastminute.com.au to start planning your 2015 Melbourne escape.
* Results based on lastminute.com.au’s 2015 survey of 4100+ Australians.
lastminute.com.au is Australia’s leading travel and lifestyle website. From hotels to holidays, flights to facials, and cooking classes to car hire, lastminute.com.au is here to help Aussies put the living back into life. lastminute.com.au boasts a loyal social media community of over 100,000+ across Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus who thrive on living every lastminute. Our blog http://www.lastminute.com.au/blog/ also provides savvy travellers with advice and reviews on a range of travel and lifestyle topics.